BF76.7.C66 Concise Rules of APA Style
American Psychological Association (APA) style is one of the most popular styles used by UHV faculty and students to cite their research. APA is commonly used to cite sources within the social sciences. This book is an easy-to-use pocket guide, compiled from the sixth edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, provides complete guidance on the rules of style that are critical for clear communication. APA released their new seventh edition in October of 2019.
CB63.T613 A Study Of History
- A Study of History byISBN: 9780195050806Publication Date: 1987-12-10Arnold Toynbee's A Study of History has been acknowledged as one of the greatest achievements of modern scholarship. A ten-volume analysis of the rise and fall of human civilizations, it is a work of breath-taking breadth and vision. D.C. Somervell's abridgement, in two volumes, of this magnificent enterprise, preserves the method, atmosphere, texture, and, in many instances, the very words of the original. Originally published in 1947 and 1957, these two volumes are themselves a great historical achievement. Volume 1, which abridges the first six volumes of Toynbee's study, includes the Introduction, The Geneses of Civilizations, and The Disintegrations of Civilizations. Volume 2, an abridgement of Volumes VII-X, includes sections on Universal States, Universal churches, Heroic Ages, Contacts Between Civilizations in Space, Contacts Between Civilizations in Time, Law and Freedom in History, The Prospects of the Western Civilization, and the Conclusion. Of Somervell's work, Toynbee wrote, "The reader now has at his command a uniform abridgement of the whole book, made by a clear mind that has not only mastered the contents but has entered into the writer's outlook and purpose."
CS47.E9 Handy Book for Genealogists
- Handybook for Genealogists byISBN: 9781932088007Publication Date: 2002-12-01The highly anticipated 10th edition of Everton's Handybook for Genealogists is one of the most valuable genealogy bibliography collections currently available. It is an indispensable resource for any genealogist attempting to trace their heritage using the county record system of the United States. The Handybook contains: well-researched histories of each state, state capital and the territories descriptions and addresses for each state's major record collections and protocol for requesting vital records information on researching records for nineteen foreign countries complete contact information for libraries, repositories, and historical/genealogical societies detailed county maps and over 120 migration trail maps The Handybook also incorporates an in-depth tracking system for every county in each state, including counties that no longer exist, to help genealogists determine which county records to research. This timesaving feature makes this volume the most comprehensive resource for county information in the United States available today.
D767.92.S86 Survivors of Pearl Harbor from Victoria, TX (video)
Personal narratives of Victoria veterans who were at Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack in 1941.
DA16.C47 A History of the English-Speaking Peoples
- Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples byISBN: 9780517060193Publication Date: 1994-05-28Here are Churchill's own words in this celebrated and unparalleled study. Authoritative and easy-to-read, it contains historical portraits and profiles of Alfred the Great, Queen Victoria, Lincoln, and countless others, battle scenes, the signing of the Magna Carta, the Great Plague, the colonies, and more.
F158.44.T66 Pennsylvania Hall
- Pennsylvania Hall byISBN: 9780199837601Publication Date: 2013-11-28Offering a gripping narrative of one of the most notorious anti-abolition and anti-black riots to take place in the antebellum U.S., Pennsylvania Hall: A 'Legal Lynching' in the Shadow of the Liberty Bell provides a thorough explanation of the complexities of American antislavery and describes a society that was struggling to recreate itself in the wake of emancipation. Part of the Critical Historical Encounters series, Pennsylvania Hall focuses on the differences between gradual and immediate emancipation and the complexities of "immediatism." After describing the tensions between competing abolition camps, author Beverly Tomek examines the way in which the Garrisonian branch of the movement used the press effectively to shape both the contemporary and historical narrative. She demonstrates how Pennsylvania--the birthplace of American abolition--remained relevant to the cause. Illustrating the complexity of the Abolition movement in the North and how internal struggles hampered the movements' goals, Pennsylvania Hall's strong narrative style provides an in-depth analysis while remaining approachable for students.
G1370.T49 Maps of Texas, 1527-1900
- Maps of Texas and the Southwest, 1513-1900 byISBN: 0826307418Publication Date: 1984-07-01Prepared in conjunction with the exhibit "Crossroads of empire: printed maps of Texas and the Southwest, 1513-1900" produced by the Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth.
GN283.25.J63 Lucy, The Beginnings of Humankind
- Lucy byISBN: 0671250361Publication Date: 1981-02-23When Donald Johanson found a partial skeleton, approximately 3.5 million years old, in a remote region of Ethiopia in 1974, a headline-making controversy was launched that continues today. Bursting with all the suspense and intrigue of a fast-paced adventure novel, here is Johanson’s lively account of the extraordinary discovery of “Lucy.”
HD2731.D7 Concept of the Corporation
- Concept of the Corporation byISBN: 0451621972Publication Date: 1983-04-05Concept of the Corporation was the first study ever of the constitution, structure, and internal dynamics of a major business enterprise. Basing his work on a two-year analysis of the company done during the closing years of World War II, Drucker looks at the General Motors managerial organization from within.
J80.A283 Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States
The Office of the Federal Register (OFR) began publishing the Public Papers of the Presidents series in 1957 as an official publication of United States Presidents' public writings, addresses, and remarks. The series provides an historical reference covering the administrations of Presidents Hoover, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, H.W. Bush, Clinton, G.W. Bush, and Obama. (The papers of President Franklin Roosevelt were published privately before the commencement of the official Public Papers series).
JC423.D2497 On Democracy
- On Democracy byISBN: 0300076274Publication Date: 1998-12-11The last half of the 20th century has been an era of democratic triumph. The main antidemocratic regimes - communist, fascist, Nazi - have disappeared, and new democracies are emerging vigorously or tentatively throughout the world. In this book, a prominent political theorist provides a primer on democracy that clarifies what it is, why it is valuable, how it works, and what challenges it confronts for the future. Robert Dahl begins with an overview of the early history of democracy. He goes on to discuss differences among democracies, criteria for a democratic process, basic institutions necessary for advancing the goals of democracy, and the social and economic conditions that favour the development and maintenance of these institutions. Along the way, he illustrates his points by describing different democratic countries, explaining for example, why India, which seems to lack most of the conditions for a stable democracy, is nevertheless able to sustain one.
KF4527.U54 Constitution of the United States
- Constitution of the United States of America byISBN: 9780160917356Publication Date: 2014-02-27Centennial edition. Popularly known as the Constitution Annotated or "CONAN", encompasses the U.S. Constitution and analysis and interpretation of the U.S. Constitution with in-text annotations of cases decided by the Supreme Court of the United States.
KFT1601. 1876 Constitution of the State of Texas
- The Texas State Constitution byISBN: 0313266379Publication Date: 1996-11-14Constitutional and political history from the 1813 Texas Constitution under Spanish rule and the 1827 Coahuila-Texas Constitution under Mexican rule through the Constitution of 1876 and its amendments, to the present. An analytic commentary on the current constitution, with amendments, article-by-article, makes up the heart of the book.
LB17.T3 Taxonomy of Educational Objectives
- Taxonomy of Educational Objectives byISBN: 9780582280106Publication Date: 1989-01-01Using scientific standards of organization and analysis, the various aims and techniques of education are examined with the use of sample exercises and exams.
M1001.B4 op67 Beethoven's 5th Symphony Score
- Symphony No. 5 in C Minor Op.67 byISBN: 9780486298504Publication Date: 1997-07-10Widely regarded as the most memorable and musically concentrated of Beethoven's orchestral works, his Symphony No. 5 is also one of the most popular works in the literature.
PE1625.O87 Oxford English Dictionary
- The Oxford English Dictionary byISBN: 9780198611868Publication Date: 1989-03-30Eighty years ago, the "greatest work in dictionary-making ever undertaken" was completed. And with its enormous range, unparalleled historical depth, detailed etymologies, and inexhaustible supply of illustrative quotations, it has enriched the lives of writers, readers, and word-lovers of all stripes ever since.
PR2751.A15 Shakespeare's First Folio
- Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, and Tragedies byISBN: 0878300880Publication Date: 1998-04-20Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, and Tragedies gives actors, directors, and anyone interested in Shakespeare access to the plays as Shakespeare envisioned them.
PR6039.O32 Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- The Fellowship of the Ring byISBN: 9780395489314Publication Date: 1988-03-03The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien's three-volume epic, is set in the imaginary world of Middle-earth - home to many strange beings, and most notably hobbits, a peace-loving "little people," cheerful and shy.
PZ7.R79835 Harry Potter Series
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets byISBN: 9780439064866Publication Date: 1999-07-01The seven volume set of Harry Potter books has become a classic in children's literature.
QA75.B28 Charles Babbage and his Calculating Engines: Selected Writings
- Charles Babbage and His Calculating Engines: Selected Writings byISBN: 9780486200125Publication Date: 1961Considered the Father of Computing, these assembled papers discuss Babbage's Difference Engine, which he invented in 1821 to solve the practical problem of finding a means to reliably compute the many tables needed for navigation, and his Analytical Engine, which anticipated the logical conceptions of modern digital computers.
QB98.1.H377 A Brief History of Time
- A Brief History of Time byISBN: 9780553053401Publication Date: 1988-03-01Stephen Hawking has earned a reputation as the most brilliant theoretical physicist since Einstein. In this landmark volume, Professor Hawking shares his blazing intellect with nonscientists everywhere, guiding us expertly to confront the supreme questions of the nature of time and the universe.
QH365.O2 Origin of the Species
- On the Origin of Species byISBN: 9781934997000Publication Date: 2008-08-01On the Origin of the Species ranks as one of the most important and influential books ever written, and one that remains as controversial today as upon its initial publication 150 years ago.
RA982.H62T49 Enduring Legacy: The MD Anderson Foundation and the Texas Medical Center
- Enduring Legacy byISBN: 9781623491314Publication Date: 2014-04-04At the heart of Houston stands the Texas Medical Center. This dense complex of educational, clinical, and hospital facilities offers state-of-the-art patient care, basic science, and applied research in more than fifty medicine-related institutions.
RC455.2.C4D537 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5 byISBN: 9780890425541Publication Date: 2013-05-22This new edition of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), used by clinicians and researchers to diagnose and classify mental disorders, is the product of more than 10 years of effort by hundreds of international experts in all aspects of mental health.
SB407.B57 Landscape Plants for the Gulf and South Atlantic Coasts
- Landscape Plants for the Gulf and South Atlantic Coasts byISBN: 0813027225Publication Date: 2004-06-30This book by Robert Black and Edward Gilman covers a whole group of plants barely touched by other writers. . . . a most valuable reference for its almost endless salt-tolerant plant lists needed for planning and planting coastal landscapes.
TK5101.875.I57 The Internet
- The Internet byISBN: 0071391800Publication Date: 1999-11-01From the Broadband Telecommunications Handbook, the one-of-a-kind volume by renowned computing communications expert and instructor Bud Bates, comes this concise, practical guide to telecom and the Internet.
U101.S95 Art of War
- The Art of War byISBN: 9780195015409Publication Date: 1988-03-03Written in China more than 2,000 years ago, Sun Tzu's classic The Art of War is the first known study of the planning and conduct of military operations. These terse, aphoristic essays are unsurpassed in comprehensiveness and depth of understanding, examining not only battlefield maneuvers, but also relevant economic, political, and psychological factors.
VA65.T44P68 Battleship Texas
- Battleship Texas byISBN: 0890965196Publication Date: 1992-12-01Battleship Texas, visited by thousands of tourists each year at its berth at San Jacinto, is the lone survivor of the first generation of dreadnoughts, the world's most complex and dominating weapon of the early twentieth century. The ship, the only intact vessel of any nation to have survived both world wars, houses the largest surviving reciprocating engines.
Z722.56B58 Alexandrian Library and the Origins of Bibliography
- Kallimachos byISBN: 029913170XPublication Date: 1991-12-15Rudolf Blum argues that Kallimachos of Kyrene was not only the second director of the Alexandrian library but also the inventor of two essential scholarly tools in use to this day: the library catalogue & the biobibliographical reference work.