- Opposing Viewpoints (Gale in Context) This link opens in a new windowExamines contemporary issues from the pro and con. Features viewpoint articles, topic overviews, full-text magazine, academic journal, and newspaper articles, primary source documents, statistics, images and podcasts, and links to Websites. Gale
- Pew Research CenterPew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. You can search by keyword or browse by topic.
- Rand State Statistics - U.S. & Texas This link opens in a new windowRand Texas, a service of the nation’s leading think tank, is a portfolio of statistics on Texas and other states drawn from over 270 statistical databases in 14 categories: Population & Demographics; Health & Health Care; Business & Economics; Crimes, Prisons & Courts; Labor Force, Employment & Earnings; Energy; Environment, Resources & Weather; K-12 Education;Higher Education; Income, Expenditure, Wealth & Poverty; Social Insurance & Human Services; Transportation & Travel; Federal Government; State & Local Government. The Library's subscription includes U.S. and Texas statistics. Rand Corporation
Statistics: Questions to Ask
Statistics are quantitative data, which are usually thought of as less biased. While this can be true, statistics can also be misleading. Here are some questions to ask yourself when look at numerical data:
- Does your evidence come from reliable sources?
- What is the data's background?
- Are all data reported?
- Have the data been interpreted correctly?
- Does the author confuse correlation with causation?
- Do the findings ignore the margin of error?
"Statistics". The Writing Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, https://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/statistics/. Accessed 17 July 2018.
Mark Twain on Statistics
"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."
InterLibrary Loan Service
If we don't have it, don't worry! Our InterLibrary Loan Service can help.
We can borrow books and journal articles from another library.