The Census Bureau provides population and demographic data based on its Census that counts every resident in the United States and takes place every 10 years.
Selected Publications of the Census Bureau:
- Explore Census DataFind population, housing, economic, and geographic data. Starting in July, data.census.gov will be the primary way to access Census Bureau data, including upcoming releases from the 2018 American Community Survey, 2017 Economic Census, 2020 Census and more. After July 1, 2019, all new data (previously released on American FactFinder) will be released on this new data platform.
- Statistical Abstract, 1878-2012The authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- Census of Population and HousingFind population and housing data according to age, employment status, gender, household income, and other factors.
- National Historical Geographic Information System (NHGIS)Provides easy access to summary tables and time series of population, housing, agriculture, and economic data, along with GIS-compatible boundary files, for years from 1790 through the present and for all levels of U.S. census geography, including states, counties, tracts, and blocks
- Occupational Outlook HandbookProvides profiles for hundreds of occupations, describing job responsibilities, environment, pay, and qualifications for each
- National Agricultural Statistics ServiceReports covering virtually every aspect of U.S. agriculture-production and supplies of food and fiber, prices paid and received by farmers, farm labor and wages, farm finances, chemical use, and changes in the demographics of U.S. producers are only a few examples
- U.S. Bureau of Economic AnalysisFrom the U.S. Department of Commerce, the Bureau of Economic Analysis divides national accounts into national, regional, international, and industry sections.
- Bureau of Justice StatisticsWith a mission to collect, analyze, publish, and disseminate information on crime, criminal offenders, victims of crime, prisons, and the operation of justice systems at all levels of government, the B of J provides data to federal, state, and local policymakers. Provides users with the software to create and customize tables
- Education Statistical Annual ReportsThe U.S. Department of Education presents the National Center for Education Statistics. Links are The Condition of Education, The Digest of Education Statistics, Indicators of School Crime and Safety, and Projections of Education Statistics.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor StatisticsThe official site of the U.S. Department of Labor provdies statistics on employment & unemployment, inflation & consumer spending, wages, and occupations.
- RITA | Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS)The statistics site of the U.S. Department of Transporation provides quick facts on the airline industry, freight data and statistics, and links to other transportation websites and newly released transportation information.
- Analytics - USA.govSee which federal government web pages are most popular and how many people are using federal websites on an hourly basis.