What type of of information can I find in data and statistics?
Data is a collection of facts, such as numbers, words, measurements, or observations. Statistics collect, analyze, interpret and present data. Statistics can help you provide numerical evidence to support your claims.
Geography Data & Statistics
- Geospatial PlatformYour one stop for federal, state and local geographical data. Find both current and historical map collections or create your own
- Basic GIS Data-Berkley LibraryA list of GIS datasets to explore.
- U.S. Geological SurveyThe USGS serves the Nation by providing reliable scientific information to describe and understand the Earth; minimize loss of life and property from natural disasters; manage water, biological, energy, and mineral resources; and enhance and protect our quality of life
- GIS Data Download - U.S. Geological SurveyThe Topographic Maps and geographical information system (GIS) data provided in The National Map are pre-generated into downloadable products often available in multiple formats. The vector datasets include: The National Hydrography Dataset(s), Watershed Boundary Dataset, Governmental Boundary Units, Transportation, Structures, Elevation Contours and Geographic Names. Raster datasets include: Digital Elevation Models (DEMs), Orthoimagery, and Land Cover. Lidar point cloud data is also available over many areas of the US.
General Data and Statistics
- Statista This link opens in a new windowStatista provides access to statistics and studies gathered by market researchers, trade organizations, scientific publications, and government sources on more than 600 industries. In addition to tables and charts, Statista also provides infographics and studies on selected industries and topics. Statista
Note: Remote access is restricted to UHV users.
- Rand State Statistics - U.S. & Texas This link opens in a new windowRand Texas, a service of the nation’s leading think tank, is a portfolio of statistics on Texas and other states drawn from over 270 statistical databases in 14 categories: Population & Demographics; Health & Health Care; Business & Economics; Crimes, Prisons & Courts; Labor Force, Employment & Earnings; Energy; Environment, Resources & Weather; K-12 Education;Higher Education; Income, Expenditure, Wealth & Poverty; Social Insurance & Human Services; Transportation & Travel; Federal Government; State & Local Government. The Library's subscription includes U.S. and Texas statistics. Rand Corporation
- Pew Research CenterPew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. You can search by keyword or browse by topic.
- GallupContains a wealth of information for researchers on opinion polls and trends. Special features include a guest scholar poll review each month, an informational FAQ section that explains the Gallup poll's history and techniques, and special historical reports
- Explore Census DataFind population, housing, economic, and geographic data. Starting in July, data.census.gov will be the primary way to access Census Bureau data, including upcoming releases from the 2018 American Community Survey, 2017 Economic Census, 2020 Census and more. After July 1, 2019, all new data (previously released on American FactFinder) will be released on this new data platform.