What type of information can I find in books?
Books provide in-depth coverage on a topic and have a broader focus than articles. You can look at book chapters to help you navigate through a book more quickly and find the information you need.
The UHV Library has both physical books and electronic books. Below, you'll find information on how to find both physical books and electronic books on your topic.
Search the Library Catalog
The library catalog holds things like books, ebooks, and streaming videos. If you are only looking for books on your topic, and not articles, search the library catalog below.
Want to Browse?
Browsing, like in a book store, is sometimes the best way to find interesting books on your topic. You can do this in person at the UHV Library and the Victoria College Library. In libraries, we use call numbers to organize books by subject. Here are the call number ranges, or sections on the shelf, where you are likely to find books on geography topics.
- G1-922 - Geography (General)
- G3180-9980 - Maps
- GA1-1776 - Mathematical geography. Cartography
- GB3-5030 - Physical geography
- GC1-1581 - Oceanography
- GE1-350 - Environmental sciences
- GF1-900 - Human ecology. Anthrogeography
How are you supposed to use a call number? Write down the call number or call number range you'd like to explore. At the end of our bookshelves are markers that tell you what call number ranges for that shelf. They are organized alphabetically and then numerically. So for example, you would go to the Gs. Then the GCs then GC1 and so on until you found the specific call number or call number range. If you need help finding a call number, you can get help at the Ask a Librarian desk on the second floor.
You can find eBooks by searching our Library Catalog and by looking for any result that has the eBook symbol next to it. You can also search more specifically in the eBook collections listed below.
- Ebook Central This link opens in a new windowThe library's subscription includes ebook collections covering science, healthcare and technology with strengths in health, medicine, computers and IT, engineering, life and physical science, and math. You can limit your search results to English or Spanish only titles. Proquest
- eBook Collection (EBSCO) This link opens in a new windowElectronic book collection of over 45,000 titles in all academic disciplines. All titles are provided full-text. This collection was formerly known as "netLibrary". Using EBSCO eBook Collection. EBSCO
- Biblioboard This link opens in a new windowHundreds of digital Anthologies featuring books, images, articles, documents, audio, and video from around the world and across time, curated by subject. BiblioLabs
- Project Gutenberg This link opens in a new windowOffers more than 53,000 free ebooks in the public domain (copyright free). You can choose among free epub books or free kindle books to download or read online.