What type of information can I find in scholarly articles?
Scholarly articles have a very focused topic and try to answer research question(s) set by the authors. Peer-reviewed articles are scholarly articles that are evaluated by other experts in the field.
Finding Scholarly Articles
The easiest way to find scholarly articles on most topics is to search in OneSearch. OneSearch searches nearly half of our databases at one time. You can also search in specific databases. The databases listed after the OneSearch box are databases that have sociology information.
- Academic Search CompleteProvides full text for nearly 5,318 scholarly publications covering academic areas of study including social sciences, humanities, education, biological & ecological sciences, computer sciences, engineering, language and linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences, and ethnic studies. EBSCO
- APA PsycARTICLES This link opens in a new windowContains more than 25,000 searchable full text articles from 49 journals published by the American Psychological Association and allied organizations. Coverage spans from 1988 to the present. EBSCO
- APA PsycINFO This link opens in a new windowProvides access to international literature in psychology, the behavioral sciences, and related disciplines from professional journals, book chapters, books, reports, and dissertations. Most citations include abstracts.Also included are millions of cited references in journal articles, books, and chapters. EBSCO
- ERIC This link opens in a new windowIndex of journal literature in education, as well as education-related material such as books, conference papers, technical reports, policy papers, curriculum materials, and theses. Links to available full-text. EBSCO
- Family Studies Abstracts This link opens in a new windowProvides records covering topics like marriage, divorce and family therapy, Scholars within this field are treated to a wide array of unique content, as well as highly regarded works made popular in the realm of family studies. EBSCO
- MasterFILE Complete This link opens in a new windowDesigned specifically for public libraries, this multidisciplinary database provides full text for more than 2,000 general reference publications with full text information dating as far back as 1922. Covering virtually every subject area of general interest, it also contains full text for more than 1,000 reference books and over 164,400 primary source documents, as well as an Image Collection of over 502,000 photos, maps & flags. EBSCO
- Open Society Justice Initiative This link opens in a new windowThe Open Society Justice Initiative database brings the Justice Initiative’s scholarship to HeinOnline, providing access to works published by the Justice Initiative in HeinOnline’s fully searchable, image-based format. Unique to this collection is the ability to search by Publication Type, a publication identifier assigned by the Justice Initiative to each of its publications, which organizes their works into the following types: Briefing Paper, Publication, and Report. Hein
Note: Remote access is restricted to UHV users.
- Race Relations Abstracts This link opens in a new windowWith a singular focus on relationship between and among races, this resource includes abstracting for the top academic journals, books, periodicals and newspapers in the field. It contains over 75,000 records going back to 1975, and include Race & Class, Ethnic & Racial Studies and Journal of Social Issues. EBSCO
- ScienceDirect This link opens in a new windowSearchable, browsable database of journals published by Elsevier Publishers. Subscription includes full-text access to about 1,200 journals in the health and life sciences, and the social sciences - including business, managements, economics, accounting, finance, and psychology. Abstracts, tables of contents and some complimentary full-text may be available in other subject areas. Elsevier