What type of information can I find in scholarly articles?
Scholarly articles have a very focused topic and try to answer research question(s) set by the authors. Peer-reviewed articles are scholarly articles that are evaluated by other experts in the field.
Finding Scholarly Articles
The easiest way to find scholarly articles on most topics is to search in OneSearch. OneSearch searches nearly half of our databases at one time. You can also search in specific databases. The databases listed after the OneSearch box are databases that have mathematics information.
- DOE Information BridgeFree web site of the U.S. Dept. of Energy provides bibliographic citations to DOE research and development reports in physics, chemistry, materials, biology, environmental sciences, energy technologies, engineering, computer and information science, renewable energy, and other topics.
- Academic Search CompleteProvides full text for nearly 5,318 scholarly publications covering academic areas of study including social sciences, humanities, education, biological & ecological sciences, computer sciences, engineering, language and linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences, and ethnic studies. EBSCO
- Science and Technology Collection This link opens in a new windowContains over 800 leading full text journals covering relevant aspects of the scientific and technical community. Topics include aeronautics, astrophysics, chemistry, computer technology, geology, aviation, physics, archaeology, and materials science. Also offers indexing and abstracts for more than 1,700 publications. EBSCO
- ScienceDirect This link opens in a new windowSearchable, browsable database of journals published by Elsevier Publishers. Subscription includes full-text access to about 1,200 journals in the health and life sciences, and the social sciences - including business, managements, economics, accounting, finance, and psychology. Abstracts, tables of contents and some complimentary full-text may be available in other subject areas. Elsevier
- SciTech Premium Collection (Proquest) This link opens in a new windowFull-text scholarly journals, trade and industry journals, magazines, technical reports, conference proceedings, government publications and more int all areas of natural sciences and technology. Proquest
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowThe JSTOR database contains the complete archives of core scholarly journals, starting with the very first issues, many of which date from the 1800's. JSTOR/Library Subscription/ collection consists of journals in the liberal arts, business, and health. JSTOR
- MasterFILE Complete This link opens in a new windowDesigned specifically for public libraries, this multidisciplinary database provides full text for more than 2,000 general reference publications with full text information dating as far back as 1922. Covering virtually every subject area of general interest, it also contains full text for more than 1,000 reference books and over 164,400 primary source documents, as well as an Image Collection of over 502,000 photos, maps & flags. EBSCO
- arXiv This link opens in a new windowarXiv is an e-print service which archives and disseminates research papers in physics, mathematics, computer science, quantitative biology, quantitative finance, and statistics.
- Science (Gale in Context) This link opens in a new windowProviding contextual information on hundreds of today's most significant science topics. By integrating authoritative, curriculum-aligned reference content with headlines and videos, Science In Context draws students into the subject matter, showing how scientific disciplines relate to real-world issues, from weather patterns to obesity. Gale