What is Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary loan (abbreviated ILL) is a service provided by the UHV Library for students, staff and faculty of UHV and VC to gain access to books, journal articles and other materials that are not owned by the UHV Library or the VC Library.
Who may use Interlibrary Loan?
- Interlibrary Loan is available free of charge to all faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students of UHV and VC. You must have a current library card.
- We will also borrow materials for area residents. We charge $5.00 per article, book, or book chapter plus any lending charges assessed by the lending library. Interlibrary Loan fees are to be paid at the second-floor Checkout Desk prior to pickup of requested materials.
What kind of materials may be borrowed?
- Books, both fiction and non-fiction
- Government Documents
- Photocopies of journal articles up to 50 pages in length
- Photocopies of a single book chapter up to 50 pages in length
What kind of materials may not be borrowed?
- Reference books and extremely rare books and manuscripts
- Whole issues of journals and newspapers
- Most CDs, DVDs, videos, and tapes
- Materials to be placed on reserve for long-term class use
- Items owned by the UHV Library or the VC Library
- Items from the Victoria Public Library
How long does it take for materials to arrive?
- Journal Articles - about 2-5 days
- Books - about 7-10 days
- Book Chapters - about 2-5 days
Some materials take longer, it depends on where the material is located and how it is being shipped to us.
How long can I keep borrowed materials?
Photocopies are yours to keep.
The due date on borrowed books is determined by the lending library. It is very important to pick up your material as soon as it arrives, so you will have adequate time to use it. Keeping materials past the due date set by the lending library could affect the library's borrowing privileges, and may result in a fine on the patron's account.
How do I know my requested material has arrived?
We will notify you by email when your materials arrive.
How are the requested materials delivered?
- Books must be picked up at the UHV Library with a current library card:
- Monday - Thursday, 9:00am - 4:00pm, Friday 12:00PM - 4:00PMM from the third-floor ILL service window
- After hours and on weekends from the second-floor Checkout Desk
NOTE: UHV-Katy Campus students and faculty will pick up requested books at the library on that campus. Please allow 2-3 extra working days when requesting a book to be shipped to UHV-Katy.
- Photocopies of articles or a photocopy of a book chapter will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the request form.