How to Protect Yourself
Below are some tips to protect yourself from identity theft:
- Order your free credit reports every year:
- Write: Annual Credit Report Request Service P.O. Box 105281Atlanta, GA&; 30348-5281 Call toll free: 1-877-322-8228
- Go to: www.annualcreditreport.com (NOT www.freecreditreport.com)
Shred personal papers, receipts and junk mail
Opt-out of prescreened credit card offers:
- Call toll free: 1-888-567-8688
- Go online: Opt Out Prescreen
Read credit card and bank statements immediately
- Keep a record of all credit card and bank account numbers separate from your wallet.
Guard your social security number, other personal information and credit card numbers
- Don't provide personal information to any caller or respond to an e-mail message unless you have initiated the transaction.
- Don't reveal personal information on public phones or cell phones.
- For online purchases, be sure the lock or key icon on your browser's screen is whole.
Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Hotline: 1-877-IDTHEFT (438.4338)