SIFT (The Four Moves)
Mike Caulfield suggests four moves to help you navigate through information online.
- Do you know this website or source? What is their reputation?
- Investigate the source
- The easiest way to know more about the source is to open up another tab and search for it! Wikipedia is your friend here.
- Find better coverage
- Search the internet for the claim. Do multiple news sites seem to report the same basic information? Are there fact-checking sites that discuss this claim?
- Trace claims, quotes and media to the original context
- Search the internet for any quotes and/or media. Can you find it in its original context? Was the version you were first looking at accurately presented?
Check for Previous Fact Checking Work
If you've ever tried to fact check an article yourself, you know that it can be a LOT of work. The good thing is is that there are places online that are solely devoted to fact checking!